Paint Brush - Sweden
Education: Bachelor of Fine Arts/History at University of Ottawa, BEd (I/S) at Queen's University
Year Teaching: 2
Subject and Grade: Fine Arts. Grade 7-9
My travel experience: Countless road trips through Canada and the US, 12 countries in West Africa and Europe, and hoping to add more!
I decided to teach in Sweden because I wanted to experience a full year of teaching with my own classroom, and I was ready for another chance to live abroad!
My biggest fear about moving abroad was that I was biting off a bigger challenge than I could handle. Sometimes the thought of moving to a country I had never visited, learning a new language, figuring out all the practicalities of doing life in Sweden, and beginning my first year of teaching seemed completely overwhelming.
This year, I am most excited about: Buckling down and learning Swedish! And of course continuing to travel at every opportunity.
5 must have items I packed in my suitcase:
1. Gilmore Girls seasons (they have brought me through every international move!)
2. My sketchbook and watercolours, to record all the beauty around me.
3. Canadian magazines and favourite books! (there is nothing like a familiar book in English when homesickness hits)
4. Umbrella (it rains at least three times a day!)
5. Running shoes (Swedes are all about fitness and the outdoors)
Famous, must-eat delicacies from Sweden: Kanelbullar (cinnamon bun) and Swedish meatballs
Most excited to explore both Scandinavia and warm and sunny locations in the Mediterranean! There are so many countries nearby that I have never travelled to.
One word to sum up your first year teaching: Surreal
Favourite Memory from First Year Teaching: Receiving flowers from my students at their graduation and hearing how they learned to love art this year!
Professional Goal This Year: To take on more leadership in school wide events and student care.